<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Robert Harris

Return to the Main Page

Robert Harris, Hurt on June 23, Dies of Injuries
Well known D. &. H. Engineer was run down by motorist while crossing bush thoroughfare

Injuries suffered when he was struck by an automobile while crossing the street in the 500 block of Wyoming avenue on the night of Thursday, June 23, resulted in the death yesterday morning at 4:15 o'clock of Robert Harris, fifty-four, of 2202 Wyoming avenue.
   At the time of the accident it was believed that he had sustained lacerations of the head and bruises of the body, but it later developed that he received internal injuries. Immediately following the mishap he was treated at the State hospital and later removed to the Hahnemann hospital where he remained for several days before being removed to his home. He was confined to his bed practically all of the time from the night of the accident until his death early yesterday.
   His daughter, Dorothy Harris, aged fifteen, who was injured in the same accident, is reported as improving at the Hahnemann hospital. She is suffering from a fractured leg and bruises of the body. It was believed she was the most seriously injured of the two at the time of the motor accident.


Charles Labella, of 322 Smith street, Dunmore, arrested as the driver of the machine which struck Harris and his daughter, will now be charged with involuntary man-slaughter. When arrested a count of assault and battery with a motor vehicle was placed against him and he was released under bail, to await the outcome of the victims’ injuries.

Son Died Two Months Ago
A pathetic incident in connection with the death of Mr. Harris is that his son, Robert Harris, Jr., died just two months ago. Young Harris, interested in aviation and determined to gain fame as a birdman, went to Fort Slocum, N.Y., where he enlisted in the aviation branch of the U. S. army service. Soon after he arrived there an epidemic of spinal meningitis struck the camp and he was stricken ill. His death followed after an illness of but a few days.
   News of Mr. Harris’ death comes as a shock to his wide legion of acquaintances throughout northeastern Pennsylvania, all of whom


 believed that he was well on the road to recovery following the accident. Mr. Harris was born inScranton and made this city his home, with the exception of some years he resided in Carbondale. During the past twenty-three years he worked as a locomotive engineer for the Delaware and Hudson Railroad company, and previous to joining the D. & H. service, he was in the employ of the Lackawanna railroad. He was prominent in the affairs of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
   Mr. Harris was a member of the Irem Templle in Wilkes-Barre, the Consistory in Scranton, Union Lodge of Masons and the Junior Order, United American Mechanics. He was also a member of the Green Ridge Baptist Church. Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Sarah Harris, and two daughters, Hannah and Dorothy, both of Scranton. One sister, Mrs. Hannah Hughes, of Philadelphia and a brother, John R. Harris of St. Petersburg, Fla also Survive.